How to Uninstall Extension with "Installed by Enterprise Policy" from Google?

This forum is committed to providing computer tips and tricks.

Postby Ivy » 2014-02-11 2:51

I get a very annoying web browser extension installed on my Chrome that claimed to be "installed by enterprise policy" and disable me to remove it from your Google Chrome. How can I manage to uninstall the extension? There is no trashcan icon and the "enabled" button is selected and the selection mark is grey that I can not do any change. What can I do to uninstall an "Installed by Enterprise Policy" extension from my Google Chrome web browser completely? Help, please.

Description of an "Installed by Enterprise Policy" extension on your Google Chrome:

An "Installed by Enterprise Policy" chrome extension is usually potentially unwanted program which may appear to be installed on your Google Chrome when you install other free programs, especially free video players, download manger program and more. It happens that some of the extension forced to be installed on your Google Chrome and you can remove it. When you try to uninstall it from your Google Chrome, you get the error message that "This extension is managed and cannot be removed or disabled". This kind of extension is always with grey enable selection and the trashcan button is also missed out.

The reason that an extension turns out to be a "Managed Extension" or "Installed by enterprise policy" can be explained as following:

1. The extension is forced in the list and can not be managed or disabled.
2. The extension is so malicious that it adds registry entries that can not be managed in Chrome settings.

An "Installed by Enterprise Policy" extension appears on the Google Chrome as image below, see for your reference:

Installed by enterprise policy extension in chrome.png

In the image, the extension "Deal Slider" and "New Canvas App" are both shown "installed by enterprise policy". There is no trashcan icon for Chrome users to delete, either the check box mark before the "Enable" is also grey and it is impossible to disable the extensions. To remove the extensions "installed by enterprise policy" please follow instruction below.

Quick Removal Guide Outlined:

Step 1 > Uninstall the extension from Windows Control panel. (Possible unnecessary)
Step 2 > Remove the enforced registry entries of the managed extension installed by enterprise. policy.

Step 1 > Uninstall the extension from Windows Control panel.

Before you go to remove a managed extension that installed by enterprise policy from your Google Chrome, please go to your control panel program list, check and make sure all elements related to the extension are uninstalled.

1. Click Start, and navigate to: Control Panel.

2. Select "Add/Remove Programs" from the Control Panel. If you are using Windows Vista/7 users, this will be called "Programs/Features".

3. Select Deal Slider and related elements, from your computer, and click Uninstall/Remove.

uninstall the extension installed by enterprise policy in Chrome-1.jpg

Important Notice: If the extension installed by enterprise policy you need to remove from your Google Chrome does not appear in the control panel, please just ignore the step and move forward the step 2 to manually uninstall the unwanted extension from your Google Chrome.

Step 2 > Remove the enforced registry entries of the managed extension installed by enterprise.

1. Check you Google Chrome extension. To do that, please open your Chrome, go to Tools, select Extension, find the managed extension "installed by enterprise policy" that you need to uninstall.

uninstall the extension installed by enterprise policy in Chrome-2.jpg

In the chrome://extensions/ page, at the top, please let the "Developer mode" option selected, then, it will show you the ID number for the "Installed by enterprise policy" extension. Please write down the ID number (ID: ilfmkkncnbolkneogaadokmfjoihepgm) in this image.

2. Exit your Google Chrome web browser.

Important Notice: Please make sure to exit your Chrome from the task menu. In some case, the web browser is forced to run in background by the malicious extension, by clicking on the X button may fail to close the web browser completely.

3. Remove the enforced extension ID from the registry entries.

Please go to Start, Run, type regedit in the text box and press enter to open Registry Editor.

If you are using Windows Vista/7, type regedit directly in the search box in start menu.

4. In the Registry Editor, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE, then select Policies > Google > Chrome > ExtensionInstallForcelist.

Important Notice: If you cannot find ExtensionInstallForcelist in this place, try selecting HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE, then select Policies > Google > Chrome > ExtensionInstallForcelist.

5. Remove the registry key which has a Data value the same as the extension’s ID which you wrote down or saved above. Right click on the registry key and select Delete.

Accept the warning by selecting Yes.

6. Remove the extension’s files from the Chrome file folder.

Press the Windows Key+R and type:

Windows Vista/ 7/8 users: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions

Windows XP users: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions

Find the folder with the ID of the extension and delete it.

7. Open your Google Chrome again. This time, you are able to remove the unneeded extension.
Anvisoft--A leading Internet security solutions provider
Ivy
Anvisoft Staff

Anvisoft Staff

Re: How to Uninstall Extension with “Installed by Enterprise Policy” from Google?

Postby PeninsulaWoman » 2014-02-18 0:46

Hello,
I have Windows 7 with Chrome as my browser and continue with the annoying Deal Slider Extension. I have tried all of the above including both the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE policies and the HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE. Neither of them have the Google -> Chrome under Policies. I cannot seem to find the file in question on the Registry. I tried uninstalling it from the Control Panel some time ago after reading about that solution elsewhere but it told me it could not uninstall although the icon disappeared from the CP. Unfortunately, the Deal Slider is still very much present and still an extension without trash can. Any other ideas on what I'm to do? Thanks!
PeninsulaWoman

Re: How to Uninstall Extension with “Installed by Enterprise Policy” from Google?

Postby Ivy » 2014-02-18 0:55

Hi,

Please check your Google Chrome web browser version. If you have Google Chrome more than vesion 28.

So, could you please try following steps?

1. Open Google Chrome, goes to chrome://policy/, then in the Policies window click on Show Value.

Then you can see below there’s a path on your computer pointing to an extension update file.

It is very important find the folder with the ID of the unwanted extension and delete it. Otherwise, it can reinstall itself.

2. Unwanted extension’s files are stored in Chrome’s default extensions folder as well. (Which was already deleted as you wrote in your previous email).

3. Finally, navigate to C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine (alternatively C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\User).

Look for Registry.pol or other .pol files that reference the extension ID. To do so, simply open the file with Notepad. If it's the file you are looking for, delete it.

Hope this work solve your problem.
Anvisoft--A leading Internet security solutions provider
Ivy
Anvisoft Staff

Anvisoft Staff

Postby PeninsulaWoman » 2014-02-26 10:36

Thank you for the help. I did find the extension in the Policy section using this method. I also found the Deal Slider Program file in my Programs (although not listed when trying to Uninstall a Program) so after eliminating it in the Policy section I then deleted the Program manually. It is gone at last, thank goodness! I am grateful for the assistance.
PeninsulaWoman

Re: How to Uninstall Extension with "Installed by Enterprise Policy" from Google?

Postby xFuSIoN63@live.com » 2014-07-15 20:49

I don't have a Chrome > ExtensionInstallForcelist folder. Once I open the Google folder, it only says Update. What do I do now? Thanks.
xFuSIoN63@live.com

Re: How to Uninstall Extension with "Installed by Enterprise Policy" from Google?

Postby stephanic » 2015-02-11 2:32

Hi,
Thanks a lot for such a helpful post and it is really very helpful. I also found the Deal Slider Program file in my Programs (although not listed when trying to Uninstall a Program) so after eliminating it in the Policy section I then deleted the Program manually.
stephanic

Return to PC Tips & Tricks

Random Threads
ThreadThread StarterViews
How to Get Rid of a Pop up Virus?Ivy89651
How to Free up Disk Space and Speed up Slow PC?Ivy16089
Replica Rolex New, Rolex Cellini Collectionreslerbuff0
How to Fix a Slow Computer with Cloud System Booster?Ivy3290
How to Delete Cookies in Internet Explorer?Ivy10412