How to Uninstall a Managed Extension from Google Chrome?

This forum is committed to providing computer tips and tricks.

Postby Ivy » 2013-07-11 2:04

Something annoyed items has installed itself on Chrome as an extension. How can I remove the extension? When I followed the instruction from official Google website and tried to remove the extension, I found that there is not trashcan icon and I was unable to disable the managed extension. What can I do to uninstall a managed extension from my Google Chrome web browser? Help, please.

This post is going to provide instruction on uninstalling or removing a managed extension from Google Chrome. If you have the same issue as described above, please refer guide below to remove a managed extension.

Description of a “Managed extension” on your Google Chrome:

An extension appears to be installed on your Google Chrome when you install other free programs, especially free video players, download manger program and more. It happens that some of the extension forced to be installed on your Google Chrome and you can remove it. When you try to uninstall it from your Google Chrome, you get the error message that “This extension is managed and cannot be removed or disabled". The reason that an extension turns out to be a “Managed Extension” can be explained as following:

1. The extension is forced in the list and can not be managed or disabled.

2. The extension is so malicious that it adds registry entries that can not be managed in Chrome settings.

A “managed extension” appears on the Google Chrome as image below, see for your reference:

a managed extesion.jpg

It is very clear that the SelectionLinks App 4.3 is a “managed” extension. There is no trashcan icon for Chrome users to delete, either the check box mark before the “Enable is also grey and it is impossible to disable the extensions.

Quick instruction on uninstalling a “Managed extension”: (Taking selectionslink app 4.3 as example)

Step 1 > Uninstall the extension from Windows Control panel.
Step 2 > Remove the enforced registry entries of the managed extension.

=======================================================================================================================
Step 1 > Uninstall the extension from Windows Control panel.

Before you go to remove a managed extension from your Google Chrome, please go to your control panel program list, check and make sure all elements related to the extension is uninstall.

1. Click Start, and navigate to: Control Panel.

2. Select “Add/Remove Programs” from the Control Panel. If you are using Windows Vista/7 users, this will be called “Programs/Features”.

3. Select selectionlinks app 4.3 and related elements, from your computer, and click Uninstall/Remove.

uninstall selectionlinks.jpg

Important Notice: In some case, “managed extension” does not install itself in the computer, it only invade into Google Chrome, so if you find nothing program related to the managed extension, please just ignore step1 and go to step2 directly.

Step 2 > Remove the enforced registry entries of the managed extension.

1. Check you Google Chrome extension.

To do that, please open your Chrome, go to Tools, select Extension, find the managed extension that you need to uninstall.

G1.jpg

In some case, the managed extension gets an ID number, please write down the ID number and then go to next step.

2. Exit your Google Chrome web browser.

G2.jpg

Please make sure the exit your Chrome from the task menu. If you just click X button to close your Chrome, you are still unable to delete the managed extension, because it is forced to run in the background.

3. Remove the enforced extension ID from the registry entries.

Please go to Start, Run, type regedit in the text box and press enter to open Registry Editor.
If you are using Windows Vista/7, type regedit directly in the search box in start menu.

G3.jpg

4. In the Registry Editor, select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE, then select Policies > Google > Chrome > ExtensionInstallForcelist.

G4.jpg

Important Notice: If you cannot find ExtensionInstallForcelist in this place, try selecting HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE, then select Policies > Google > Chrome > ExtensionInstallForcelist.

5. Remove the registry key which has a Data value the same as the extension’s ID which you wrote down or saved above. Right click on the registry key and select Delete.

G5.jpg

Accept the warning by selecting Yes.

G6.jpg

6. Remove the extension’s files from the Chrome file folder.

Press the Windows Key+R and type:

Windows Vista/ 7/8 users: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions

Windows XP users: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions

Find the folder with the ID of the extension and delete it.

G7.jpg

Now, the managed extension should be cleaned from your web browser completely. Should you have any problem, please leave a reply below. Thanks a lot for your support.
Anvisoft--A leading Internet security solutions provider
Ivy
Anvisoft Staff

Anvisoft Staff

Re: How to Uninstall a Managed Extension from Google Chrome?

Postby sianez » 2014-01-05 7:03

Hey so I went through and did everything I was told to to get rid of this 'instant savings app' extension. I've deleted it and everything i can see associated with it in my programs. I had to instal something called RV uninstaller to actually uninstall it as it wouldn't let me do it directly (this adware or whatever it is, is on crack) and i've then done everything on this page that tells me how to get it off google chrome (i have windows 8 if that makes a difference) and after deleting the id named file i went into google chrome and now it looks different than it did before, but its still bloody there! I'm going insane I've spent hours trying to get rid of this please god help me. I've restarted the computer, there's literally nothing left of it anywhere i can see, yet still it persists.
sianez

Postby Ivy » 2014-01-05 20:24

sianez wrote:Hey so I went through and did everything I was told to to get rid of this 'instant savings app' extension. I've deleted it and everything i can see associated with it in my programs. I had to instal something called RV uninstaller to actually uninstall it as it wouldn't let me do it directly (this adware or whatever it is, is on crack) and i've then done everything on this page that tells me how to get it off google chrome (i have windows 8 if that makes a difference) and after deleting the id named file i went into google chrome and now it looks different than it did before, but its still bloody there! I'm going insane I've spent hours trying to get rid of this please god help me. I've restarted the computer, there's literally nothing left of it anywhere i can see, yet still it persists.

Hi Sianez,

Do you mean that you have uninstalled the instant savings app from your computer as well as your Google Chrome, but still experience the pop-up from instant savings?

I am afraid that even if you removed the ID named file, you still need to remove the malicious extension from your web browser.

After that, I highly recommend you run your antivirus program to kill any possible malicious files leftover.
Ivy
Anvisoft Staff

Anvisoft Staff

Postby Adam Petersen » 2014-02-14 15:10

I have the same issue.

The program I am having an issue with is YuTAdRemoval. there is no publisher name and they have obviously done a good job of keeping there name off google and any other search engine. This program was installed by Enterprise Policy.

When I uninstall through control panel the setup.exe crashes... but only for this program.(pretty sure its intentional) No malware antispyware program picks it up either. And there is no trash bin next to the program in the chrome extensions.
Adam Petersen

Postby Ivy » 2014-02-17 1:59

Hi Adam,

In the chrome://extensions/ page, at the top, please let the ‘Developer mode” option selected, then, it will show you the ID number for the “Installed by enterprise policy” extension. Please write down the ID number. And then follow the tips above to remove the forced extension.
Ivy
Anvisoft Staff

Anvisoft Staff

Return to PC Tips & Tricks

Random Threads
ThreadThread StarterViews
Swarovski Colliers Acheter en ligne , Swarovski Colliers en ventereslerbuff0
How to Remove a Computer Virus? –Tips & TricksIvy2139
How to Set Up Home Network on Windows Vista?Ivy6116
How to fix a crashed computer?Ivy2962
How to Fix Blue Screen of Death?---Tips and TricksIvy4734