If you get telephone call from Microsoft telling you that your computer come across problems, it infects with virus or malware or any other problem for instance, please be alert, you are scammed. Blow let’s explain Microsoft phone call scams or tech support phone call scam.
About Microsoft phone call scams: What you need to know
Usually cybercriminals get your information, telephone number, name, and more information via publicly available phone directories and call you by the phone number. It is a common trick and fraud used by cyber criminals that they disguise as Microsoft staff and claim that your computer is under attack or being infected. Then you will be asked by the “Microsoft staff” to do following:
1) Visit specific website to download, install, and purchase unknown program to fix the computer problems that actually do not exist at all.
2) Ask you to allow the remote control from the scammers to help you fix your computer problem, actually they will modify your computer settings or install remote monitor software to steal your personal information.
3) Ask for your personal information, credit card, identity number, for instance to steal your money.
4) Lock your operating system. If you need to enter your computer, you will be asked to transfer money to the online scammer.
When you receive Microsoft phone call, what you should DO?
1) Do not purchase any software.
2) Never give control of your computer to a third party.
3) Never tell the caller your personal information.
4) If possible, take the caller's information down and immediately report it to your local authorities.
5) Hang up the phone.
What should you do if you have fall into the tech support phone scams?
If you have unfortunately fall into the tech support phone call scam, you are highly recommended to remedy the loss.
1) Checking your computer settings. Change back your settings if you find something is changed.
2) Change your passwords that you have passed to the cybercriminals.
3) Scan your computer with antivirus program, such as Anvi Smart Defender, the anti-hacker feature will prevent unauthorized access and block hacker attack.
4) Contact the software seller and ask refund if you have purchased unwanted program under the cyber criminals guiding.
All in all, the final purpose of cyber criminal is to take control of your computer and steal money from you. I suggest you never trust phone call from stranger like this, and take special care when you allow unknown people to remote control your computer.