Phone Call Scam ( Microsoft Phone Scam TeamViewer)-Be aware

This forum is committed to providing information about latest computer threats, such as spyware, adware, trojans, worms, and other forms of malware.

Phone Call Scam ( Microsoft Phone Scam TeamViewer)-Be aware

Postby Sophia » 2013-03-06 2:27

Recently many users said that they have received phone call from the Microsoft to ask for a remote access to the computer in order to help user solve computer problems. However, everyone should just be alerted here that the Microsoft Phone scam TeamViewer or Event Viewer as you may call it is rampant at present. Don't ever think such seriously and if you still not sure about that, contact the official Microsoft or just check out your computer system using some trustworthy antimalware/antivirus program to troubleshoot your computer system.

Below are some real cases from real users.

About an hour ago, my sister received a phone call from a man saying he supposedly worked at Microsoft saying that her PC was infected with malicious software and that they had been receiving warning signals, so they decided to make a call. They asked her to look at Event Viewer through the 'Run' option and to tell her how many errors and warning messages she saw. Through the 'Run' option they told her to type "cmd" and then in the black window told her to type "dir\s" and then it did ran a scan. At the bottom of the scan it said her windows license had expired and that she needed to renew it.

Then they asked for remote access of her computer and asked her to download a program called TeamViewer. Afterwards, they directed her to a Western Union website and asked her to fill out a form and she filled out her full name, address, phone number and state. They told her for the price of 10$ she would have life time support for her computer. While following the man's instruction, she grew suspicious and asked me to Google if Microsoft made calls to alert people that their computer was infected with a virus. After hearing of these scams, she quickly closed the web browser before finishing the form and giving out any credit card information and turned off her computer.

This all sounded like a scam to me but the question is what do we do and what steps can she take from here to protect her PC and information?

Receieved a scam call and they connected to the computer, how can I make sure it's clean?

My brother received a phone call claiming to be microsoft support (he had just gotten a new computer windows 7 64 bit). They had him open a remote session and got into his system and opened files then asked him for $150 to support him. He called me and I got him to disconnect. He uses Security Essentials and I saw today that it had captured the name www.ammyy.com in history. What should I do to make sure his system is clean? I log in remotely to his system?

Well, as a pc online security solutions provider, we Anvisoft expert team advise users never trust such phone calls that ask for a remote access to your computer, any other person you are not familiar with to remotely access to your computer system with any excuse. If you really worries that your computer system is very likely to get infected with malware or some risky infections, your first choice to make it clear is to use a reliable security tool like antimalware or antivirus to perform a full scan on your computer system and make sure the computer is clean. If you do unfortunately encounter some hard to handle computer issues that standard tool is invalid, look for help in some professional or dedicated forums like why you are here now.

My answer to the above cases is:

1. Reboot your computer to safe mode with networking. See detailed instructions here: how to boot windows to safe mode

2. Free download the recommended antimalware Anvi Smart Defender to perform a full scan and make sure the computer is clean from any infections now.

Anvi Smart Defender antimalware free download: www.anvisoft.com/software/asd/

By the way, you are also recommended to manually clean up your computer files with a system cleaner/optimizer like Cloud System Booster which is also for daily system maintenance, in order to make sure the computer files are well arranged and clean from any leftovers of potential malware infections. You can just free download the recommended system cleaner Cloud System Booster here: www.anvisoft.com/software/csb/

3 Restart your computer to normal and check it out.

4. If there are still some issues that perplex you, just contact us for convenient help.

Good luck and be safe online.
Imagination is more important than Knowledge!
Sophia
Anvisoft Staff

Anvisoft Staff

Re: Phone Call Scam ( Microsoft Phone Scam TeamViewer)-Be aware

Postby Michael Dwells » 2013-03-14 23:11

Had calls like that, too, and let me add this warning that scammers can be very tricky. Some of them know a lot about computers and can easily use that knowledge to sway the victim into thinking there is indeed a problem with the computer.

So be cautious about such calls all the time.
Michael Dwells

Postby Shannon Wilson » 2013-04-22 15:15

I have been getting calls from these guys about every other day. I tell them off but they continue to call me. I went along with their ploy just far enough to see what they wanted and they wanted me to give them remote access to my computer via "teamviewer". When he asked for the codes I told him off and told him to never call again. The number displays as 900-142 and the guy talks with an indian accent.
If they call tell them off and don't give them access to your computer.
Shannon Wilson

Postby Ivy » 2013-04-22 20:30

Shannon Wilson wrote:I have been getting calls from these guys about every other day. I tell them off but they continue to call me. I went along with their ploy just far enough to see what they wanted and they wanted me to give them remote access to my computer via "teamviewer". When he asked for the codes I told him off and told him to never call again. The number displays as 900-142 and the guy talks with an indian accent.
If they call tell them off and don't give them access to your computer.

Teamviewer is a software for Remote Support, Remote Access, Remote Administration, Home Office and Online Meetings.

They want to take control of your computer via teamviewer. Once they get access to your computer, they will go to plant Trojans, virus on your computer in order to make your PC in disorder. After that, they will ask you pay a money to them that they will fix the PC issue for you.

Please just ignore calls from such guys. Take care and be safe.
Anvisoft--A leading Internet security solutions provider
Ivy
Anvisoft Staff

Anvisoft Staff

Postby Heather French » 2013-06-27 20:29

I just had this guy call me and I knew right away he was trying to scam me because 1st of I have friends that work for Microsoft and know that from them that Microsoft DOES NOT CALL CUSTOMERS and 2nd the guy got mad at me and told me to shut up because I kept laughing at his pathetic attempted on scamming me.. :) I just kept laughing at the guy and just hung up.. I know better then to give anyone over the internet or phone my personal info.. :)
Heather French

Postby zuluzamba » 2013-12-10 10:37

I just call from ( definitely Indian/ heavy Indian accent ) saying my "Computer License" is sending warning signals. As I have had these calls several times before - I told him in a very surprised voice "Of is that so, please go ahead I would like to know about it ". He identified the sarcasm in my tone and hung up. Easy way I found is to ( if u have time and mood for fun) extend the conversation and say that you are on Linux. ;-)
zuluzamba

Postby Beth Pfeiffer Rice » 2013-12-13 18:17

My mother just received a phone call today from these people. The Indian accented man got remote access to her computer. He then asked her for a payment, like all of the other posts are saying. She finally realized it was a scam and hung up. Now her computer wont turn on and she fears that they were able to get her credit and bank info. Is that possible and what can she do about her computer?
Beth Pfeiffer Rice

Postby Kevinmoffat » 2014-01-09 5:45

Teamviewer is an software package for any situation it can access Remote Support, Remote Access, Remote Administration, Home Office and Online Meetings.
Kevinmoffat

Postby Prince Winbush » 2014-05-12 14:39

So i fell for it and now my antivirus wont run (norton) what should i do??
Prince Winbush

Postby thaversantosh » 2014-07-11 22:54

Team Viewer is the software package by which two computer connected with each other and can access all the information , data and files . Both computer connected only when both user want to connect , I am unable to understand with out any information how any other user can access the computer .
thaversantosh

Next

Return to Latest Computer Threats

Random Threads
ThreadThread StarterViews
Windows Anytime Upgrade Trojan or Microsoft Windows Ukash VirusIvy1408
Attentive-antivirus.com Malicious Website—Be AwareIvy1250
secure.file-restore-software.com-Scam Email for File Restore TricksSophia2186
Warning! Cyber Criminal Take Fake KLM e-tickets for Malware DistributionIvy1602
Attention! Your PC is blocked due to at least one of the reasons specified below-Fake Warning from Ransomware InfectionSophia12594