How to Remove a Managed Google Chrome extension?

This forum is committed to providing guides to remove spyware, adware, trojans, worms, and other forms of malware.

How to Remove a Managed Google Chrome extension?

Postby Frances » 2013-04-07 3:55

"This extension is managed and cannot be removed or disabled" (Google Chrome) - how to remove?

When we clean and repair our Google Chrome web browser, there is a chance that we can not disable or remove some unknown extensions which may be installed or bundled with malicious programs. This kind of extension is managed. Your computer may be put in great danger if you don’t remove it. But how do do that? This post will show you a simple guide by taking Solid Savings extension as a example , if you have any questions do not be hesitate to let us know.

How to Remove a Managed Google Chrome extension

========================================================================================================================================

STEP 1 Check your Google Chrome extensions:

Click on a wrench or bars icon (top right of the screen), select "Tools" and click on "Extensions".

Here's an example of a managed Google Chrome extension (it's greyed out and users can't disable or remove it):

managed chrome extensions.jpg

STEP 2 Uninstall suspicious program from computer.

Go to your Control Panel on your computer, find the recently installed or any suspicious and unfamiliar programs. You may remove those browser extensions by uninstalling programs from computer.

Windows 7 users:

Click "Start" ("Windows Logo" in the bottom left corner of your desktop), choose "Control Panel". Locate "Programs" then "Uninstall a Program" Look for recently added software, right click to Uninstall it.

Windows XP users:

Click "Start", choose "Settings" and click "Control Panel". Locate and click "Add or Remove Programs". Locate "Programs and Features". Look for recently added software right click to Uninstall it.

Uninstall Solid Savings.jpg

STEP 3 Check your Chrome Extensions again

After those softwares have been uninstalled, check your browsers again. If the Solid Savings extension is still here continue to follow this post.

First you need to write-down the ID of the unwanted managed extension you will need that in the further removal steps, to check the ID of an extension - Click on a wrench or bars icon (top right of the screen), select "Tools" and click on "Extensions", select "Developer Mode".

solid savings extensions.jpg

STEP 4 Remove registry entries of Solid Savings extension

After closing Google Chrome you will have to remove the registry entries of the managed extension:

In Windows XP - Click Start, Run. In the opened window type "regedit".

In Windows 7 - Click Windows Logo (Start), in the "Search Programs and Files" field type "regedit" and press Enter.

In the opened Registry Editor select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then select SOFTWARE:

solid savings registry key.jpg

When in SOFTWARE directory select "Policies", "Google", "Chrome" and "ExtensionInstallForcelist":

STEP 5 Remove the Solid Savings extensions' registry key

Delete the registry key which has a same data value as the ID of the managed extension.

delete solid savings.jpg
      delete solid savings extensions.jpg

STEP 6 Remove Solid Savings extensions' files

After the registry entry of the managed Chrome extension has been removed, you must delete it's related files too. Go to "My Computer"-- "C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions". Remove the ID of the managed Chrome Extension related directory.

delete solid savings extension files.jpg

STEP 7

Now you can open your Chrome again then this extensions can be removed or it is already been removed.

Good luck.
Last edited by Frances on 2013-07-18 2:55, edited 15 times in total.
Frances
Global Moderator

Global Moderator

Re: How to Remove a Managed Google Chrome extension?

Postby martinkaren77 » 2013-04-12 4:35

Hi Dear, I had the same problem with my PC. Then one of my friend helped me. You can also try this:

-Click the Chrome menu Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
-Click Tools.
-Select Extensions.
-Click the trash can icon Remove an extension from Chrome by the extension you'd like to completely remove.
-A confirmation dialog appears, click Remove.

I think this answer surely helps you but if you are facing the same problem then, click on this link
http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=113907
martinkaren77

Postby Ivy » 2013-04-14 22:02

martinkaren77 wrote:Hi Dear, I had the same problem with my PC. Then one of my friend helped me. You can also try this:

-Click the Chrome menu Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
-Click Tools.
-Select Extensions.
-Click the trash can icon Remove an extension from Chrome by the extension you'd like to completely remove.
-A confirmation dialog appears, click Remove.

I think this answer surely helps you but if you are facing the same problem then, click on this link
http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=113907

Thanks for sharing. It is helpful.
Anvisoft--A leading Internet security solutions provider
Ivy
Anvisoft Staff

Anvisoft Staff

Postby martinkaren77 » 2013-04-15 4:46

Hello dear, don't worry. I had the same problem and one of my friend told me about how to solve out that typo of query. You have to follow certain steps and I am sure that you can easily resolve this issue.

- First of all, Note the ID of the extension you wish to remove, then close Google Chrome.
- Open Windows Explorer and select the Show hidden files, folders and drives by selecting Organize > Folder and search options > View.
- Navigate to C: > Users > your username > Appdata > Local > Google > Chrome > User Data > Default > Extensions.
- Delete the folder that matches the ID on the Chrome Extensions screen.

Now open Google Chrome again. The extension should be completely removed.
martinkaren77

Postby Donna Dela Fuente » 2014-12-07 16:36

thanks to this forum, it help me so much...
Donna Dela Fuente

Postby Frances » 2014-12-07 20:28

Donna Dela Fuente wrote:thanks to this forum, it help me so much...

You are welcome Donna. :D
Frances
Global Moderator

Global Moderator

Postby Aziz Ur Rahman » 2015-03-24 6:27

thanks for this worthy help......
Aziz Ur Rahman

Return to Malware Removal Guide

Random Threads
ThreadThread StarterViews
How to Remove Ads by TorqueShip from My Web Browser? (Adware Removal Guide)Ivy1167
How to Remove SushiLeads Ads and Deals? (Adware Removal Guide)Frances1420
SnowPrice Pop-up Ads--How to Remove? (Adware Removal Guide)Frances1681
How to Uninstall Forless.com from Your Computer? (Manual Removal Guide)Autumn3127
How to Remove GreatArcadeHits from your Computer?(Adware Removal Guide)Frances3728