How to Remove Search.Snap.Do from Your Computer and Internet Browser (Resoft, Smartbar)

This forum is committed to providing guides to remove spyware, adware, trojans, worms, and other forms of malware.

How to Remove Search.Snap.Do from Your Computer and Internet Browser (Resoft, Smartbar)

Postby Sophia » 2012-09-10 2:50

Browser hompage is changed to search.snap.do? Your browser has been hijacked by Smartbar? Read this post to get rid of the search.snap.do from your computer as well as IE, Google Chrome and Firefox.

Snap.do (Smartbar) is dangerous to install onto the computer because it is considered running with functions of adware and spyware and thus it is categorized as a browser hijacker, with similarities to redirect virus. Although Snap.do is allegedly built and designed to simplify the way people use the web, their services can be used (mistakenly) voluntarily (where the user registers and supplies information) or without user’s consent (bundled with malware, mostly notably spyware applications). Snap.do bundles with many other dangerous malware apps and internet browser objects like toolbar,

snapdo.png

Resoft and Snap.do claim their vision is to become the leading provider of simple, smart web solutions and complementary applications dedicated to improving browsing efficiency and simplicity using existing technologies and user interfaces. However, the truth is their products are only built to be used as malware (spyware: collecting and distributing personal data, adware: providing third party advertisements, experiments, hijacker: change internet browser settings at will).
Snap.do infects Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer simultaneously using browser helper objects to alter internet browser settings (Toolbars, managed searches, homepage settings).

To sum up, snap.do, search.snap.do is unsafe for users to use and if you have got the sight of it, better hurry up to remove them all from both your computer and browsers.

Symptoms of Resoft and Snap.do

• Snap.do simultaneously hijacks internet browser settings for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer. If these internet browsers are installed on your computer you must remove Snap.do from all of them.

• Snap.do installs malicious and/or unwanted add-ons, extensions, and/or toolbars: Smartbar.installer.mini, Snap.do, DVDVideoSoftTB, General Crawler, Save Valet, etc.

Remove-Snap-Do-Exension.png

• Snap.do changes the default search engine to search.snap.do, or other feed based URLs which can not be manually removed until deletion using Window’s Uninstaller is successful. (There is no “X” next to the search.snap.do search settings as there is with Twitter in the image below)

Remove-Snap-do-search-settings1.png

• Snap.do changes the homepage (start up page) to search.snap.do, conduit.com based sites, or other snap.do feed based URLs and websites.

Remove-Snap.png

• Snap.do redirects inputted web searches and URLs.

How to remove Snap.do (search.snap.do, Resoft Products)-Step by Step Removal Guide

Compared to other internet browser hijackers, Snap.do (search.snap.do) is quite simple to remove, though the removal for each infected individual may differ. Here we go for the detailed removal steps to get rid of snap.do components from your computer and browsers including IE, Firefox and Google Chrome. The video below shows an example of the Snap.do removal steps (below video).

First off, to facilitate the removal processing, full scan the computer system with antivirus/ antimalware tool like Anvi Smart Defender (free version direct download) to make sure the computer is clean from any other potential infections like Trojans, etc.

First of all, you need to remove Snap.do from your computer by following below steps

a. On the Start menu, navigate to Control Panel > Uninstall a Program (Window’s Uninstaller)

Uninstall-a-Program.png

b. Find the Snap.do application from the list or programs and click Uninstall (right click, or highlight Snap.do and select Uninstall)

Uninstall-Snapdo.png

c. After you select uninstall you will be prompted to “close all internet browsers”, click Yes.

Uninstall-Snap-Do-Application.png

d. You will be promoted again to change your Home Page and default Search provider to the “old settings” (Your normal, safe settings), click Yes. If another prompt appears which states your settings could not be found, etc, that is okay. You will just not have a set up homepage, but may have to delete the additional search engine settings (described below).

Smartbar-Browser-Settings.png

e. After completely removing Snap.do from your computer, if necessary, search for the executable application installer (self- exractor) file Smartbar.Installer.Mini and delete this file. This file is commonly found in the “Downloads” folder.

snapdoinstallsetup.jpg

These 5 simple steps will remove Snap.do, Search.snap.do, and Smartbar.mini from your computer and each infected internet browser. There are no more required steps, though it is suggested to clear your internet browser’s cache and cookie load (video).

Remove Snap.do from IE, Firefox & Google Chrome Respectively

In case settings are still malformed, due to third party malware, or Snap.do please follow the directions below to Delete Additional Search Engines, Remove Malicious Extensions, and Repair Home Page Settings.

Delete additional Search Engine settings

It’s common for internet browser settings to not change back to normal after removal. These malicious “additional” search engines may be from snap.do ,conduit.com, or other malicious additional search engines.

In Google Chrome, click the wrench icon and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to any suspicious search engines including search.snap.do and/or conduit manufactured search engines.

In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove any suspicious search engines from the list by highlighting the selection and clicking remove.

In Microsoft Internet Explorer, please navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons and remove the malicious search engine from the list.

Remove add-ons and extensions

Snap.do bundles with many malware add-ons and extensions. Removing all of them is necessary from each internet browser installed on your computer.

In Google Chrome click the wrench icon, navigate to Tools > Extensions and remove any malicious extension from the list.

In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Add-ons > Extensions and remove all malicious extensions.

In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage add-ons and remove all malicious add-ons.

Repair Homepage (start up page) settings

In Google Chrome click the wrench icon and navigate to Settings. Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove any malicious websites and replace with your preferred URL.

In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options. Under the General tab remove any malicious URL from the “Home Page:” field and replace with your preferred home page.

In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove any malicious URLs from the Home Page field and replace with your preferred URL.

Delete Browser Cache And Cookie Files (Browser Data)

If you visited malicious and/or suspicious websites during the Snap.do infection, or clicked promoted third party adware links it is strongly recommended to delete your browser data to protect your privacy. You can delete your browser data, including browser cache and cookie files in your browser’s preference or settings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Malware Prevention Tips-How to Avoid PUP like Snap.do Install

Often, you installed PUP becaue it is bundled with freeware downloaded from the Internet. To avoid such PUP install, you should always inspect every installation step of free software. When installing freeware always choose "custom" or "advanced" and disallow installation of additional software.

To prevent multiple malware infections, Anvi Smart Defender can work together with your installed antivirus program and enhance the computer security against those malware threats spreaded on the Internet. This antimalware can guard your computer in real time while it provides powerful detecting and removal solutions against malware infections of all sorts. It is worthy to mention that here is a nimble ads blocking tool integrated in Anvi Smart Defender Pro-Anvi AD Blocker, which enables ads-free online surfing that considerably reduce risks of getting infected by blocking and filtering pop up ads, flash ads as well as malicious websites, trojan planted websites, and phishing sites.

Try this ads blocker by downloading it here: www.anvisoft.com/software/adb/. (Note: this free trial will expire in 15 days.)Or you can get this tool for free use by upgrading the antimalware Anvi Smart Defender to pro version here.

Or you are supposed to basically turn on security features of internet browsers including IE, Firefox and Goolge Chrome. Learn detailed instructions to turn on security features of IE, Firefox and Google Chrome here.

Good luck and be safe online.
Sophia
Anvisoft Staff

Anvisoft Staff

Re: How to Remove Search.Snap.Do from Your Computer and Internet Browser (Resoft, Smartbar)

Postby Autumn » 2012-09-24 21:25

Precaution is certainly the best protection. If you want to be safe online in future, you need to do something. Anvi Ad Blocker by Anvisoft was initially designed to assist users with online security. Anvi Ad Blocker v2.0 to better help users block malicious websites, phishing pop-ups and useless banners as well as to filter unwanted websites. With new-added auto-updating newest malicious URLs database , custom White Lists and Black Lists and real-time monitoring of online activities, Anvi Ad Blocker v2.0 can give your web browser a professional protection. Now, get the free version http://www.anvisoft.com/software/adb/
or buy the pro version http://www.anvisoft.com/product/anviadblockerpro.html to get rid of these annoying browser redirect viruses.

A screenshot of Anvi Ad Blocker v2.0:

Autumn
Anvisoft Staff

Anvisoft Staff

Re: How to Remove Search.Snap.Do from Your Computer and Internet Browser (Resoft, Smartbar)

Postby chinmul » 2012-10-09 14:28

Hello, I have the problem of redirection to search.snap.do but I can't find it in control Panel > add/remove programs, maybe the malware has renamed itself. I searched my system for smartbar.* but found nothing. Can you advise me of the default folder location of the snap.do malware or its registry entries so that I can uninstall the program manually ? I am running windows 7 64 bit and have Norton antivirus 2012 installed but Norton does not even detect this infection. before that I had kaspersky antivirus installed but this snap.do malware still entered my computer.

Thanks.
chinmul

Postby Sophia » 2012-10-09 20:41

chinmul wrote:Hello, I have the problem of redirection to search.snap.do but I can't find it in control Panel > add/remove programs, maybe the malware has renamed itself. I searched my system for smartbar.* but found nothing. Can you advise me of the default folder location of the snap.do malware or its registry entries so that I can uninstall the program manually ? I am running windows 7 64 bit and have Norton antivirus 2012 installed but Norton does not even detect this infection. before that I had kaspersky antivirus installed but this snap.do malware still entered my computer.

Thanks.

Hello, Chinmul

Welcome to Anvisoft forum and I'm Sophia, glad here to help. Have you also searched the "Resoft" related toolbar on your program list in Control Panel->uninstall a program?? If you can't find it as well, please find the program that you have no idea about in the opened program list in the Control Panel and Google it one by one to figure it out, if anyone suspicious, just uninstall it to stay safe. After that, we suggest you scan the computer with Antimalware tool or antiviruse to ensure it safe. Then you may just try to remove the components of Snap.do in browsers by following the detailed guide there.

Any further question, just let us know.
Imagination is more important than Knowledge!
Sophia
Anvisoft Staff

Anvisoft Staff

Postby mtbrenneman@gmail.com » 2012-10-23 15:16

Hi,

I was downloading a program (CamStudio) from a site I thought was safe (CNET, I believe) and somehow snap.do gained access to my computer.

I am having problems uninstalling it from the my computer b/c [b]when I try to uninstall it from the control panel, a window pops up asking me if I want to let the developer (of Snap.do) make changes to my computer. I'm not sure what will happen if I do this, so I followed all of the other steps outlined by the previous posters (thanks!!), but still want to get the program uninstalled.

Any suggestions and information to help me with this problem?

Thanks,
Matt
mtbrenneman@gmail.com

Postby Ivy » 2012-10-23 20:32

Hello Matt,
Thanks for posting here about your problem. I am Ivy and I am going to help you with your problem.

When you try to uninstall it from the control panel, please make sure and continue when you get the message that "if you want to let the developer make changes to your computer".
It will let you go on to uninstall snap.do.

By the way, after you download program from most famous and safe download site such as CNET, when you try to install a program such as camStudio, you'd better take advanced or custom installation instead of standard or quick installation. In most case, quick or standard installation will install automatically extra toolbar or search engine together with the program.

Best wishes,
Ivy
Anvisoft--A leading Internet security solutions provider
Ivy
Anvisoft Staff

Anvisoft Staff

Postby Sophia » 2012-10-23 20:48

mtbrenneman@gmail.com wrote:Hi,

I was downloading a program (CamStudio) from a site I thought was safe (CNET, I believe) and somehow snap.do gained access to my computer.

I am having problems uninstalling it from the my computer b/c [b]when I try to uninstall it from the control panel, a window pops up asking me if I want to let the developer (of Snap.do) make changes to my computer. I'm not sure what will happen if I do this, so I followed all of the other steps outlined by the previous posters (thanks!!), but still want to get the program uninstalled.

Any suggestions and information to help me with this problem?

Thanks,
Matt

Hallo, Matt

Have you said that the snap do has disappeared from your computer and you just want to make sure the computer is safe now? Actually, the full screen pop-up to ask for permission of Windows running Snap.do is the UAC (User Account Control) feature for Windows running security. So if the Snap.do disappear now, you can just rest your worries about such issue now. However, you can use the malware scanner Anvi Smart Defender to full scan your OS to make sure the computer is clean if you really worry about that.

Good luck and be safe online.
Imagination is more important than Knowledge!
Sophia
Anvisoft Staff

Anvisoft Staff

Postby Sukham Dhindsa » 2012-11-26 13:42

Thank you so much!
I had deleted the snapdo and uninstalled it through control panel but it did not work. I tried the other online method and it worked great!
Thanks again!
Sukham Dhindsa

Postby Ivy » 2012-11-28 20:58

Sukham Dhindsa wrote:Thank you so much!
I had deleted the snapdo and uninstalled it through control panel but it did not work. I tried the other online method and it worked great!
Thanks again!

Removal Guide updated. ;) It can help victims to remove the toolbar successfully.
Should you have any suggestion or tips about the toolbar removal guide, please post here.

Thanks a lot.
Anvisoft--A leading Internet security solutions provider
Ivy
Anvisoft Staff

Anvisoft Staff

Postby Kenzie Wages » 2012-12-07 18:10

It doesn't show up in the control panel! Not even as InternetHelper! I need help! This gets on my nerves and I can't access Chrome NewTab!!!
Kenzie Wages

Next

Return to Malware Removal Guide

Random Threads
ThreadThread StarterViews
How to Remove SPAUTORES virus (Paysafecard Scam Removal Guide)Sophia4172
Remove Post.kareeza.com popups from IE/FF/ChromeAutumn370
How to Remove Deal4Real Adware with Cloud System Booster?Frances24
How to Remove Win64/Sirefef.AL Trojan Infection-Manual Removal HelpSophia1684
How to Remove Meta.7search.com Redirect Virus? (Removal Guide)Autumn1690