how do I get rid of Snap.do ?

This forum is committed to providing assistance to remove spyware, adware, trojans, worms, and other forms of malware.

how do I get rid of Snap.do ?

Postby Amanda » 2012-09-15 14:05

Whenever I open google chrome, search.snap.do always presents. I deleted it and then it came back right after I reopen chrome. Anyone know how to get rid of it once and for all?
Amanda

Re: how do I get rid of Snap.do ?

Postby Sophia » 2012-09-15 14:28

Hello, Amanda

I'm Sophia, just here to help.

To delete search.snap.do from Google Chrome, firstly you need to uninstall snap.do program through control panel/add or remove a program. Then you may go below steps:

1 Delete necessary browsing data by going Wrench icon->History->clear all browsing data.., then select the items as show below and check the time to clear the necessary data:

browsing data clear.png

2 eliminate snap.do search engine from Chrome, by navigating to Wrench icon->Settings, then find the search area on the settings menu and click Manage search engines to reset the default search engine and then delete snap.do related search engine.

3 Remove the snap.do toolbar by navigating to wrench icon->tools->extensions, and then find the related extensions and remove it.

4 Reset the startup page/home page to google.com or any other you prefer by going to Wrench icon->Settings, under the on Startup area and then click set pages to reset the home to google.com or whatever you want.

See detailed removal guide of annoying snap.do issue in this post in details: http://forums.anvisoft.com/viewtopic-45-1208-0.html

The snap.do annoying issue should be fixed by follow the above steps all the way up. Look forward to knowing the outcome. :mrgreen:

Any further question related, let us know.
Sophia
Anvisoft Staff

Anvisoft Staff

Postby DOC » 2012-09-30 7:51

I found several answers depicting snap.do as spy/malware.I tried Norton which did not find it.I uninstalled it from the control panel.Still it's tool bar was appearing in IE and Chrome.So I went to help of snap.do.It clearly stated how to uninstal from IE and chrome.I followed the steps and it was gone.I think the confusion is, the item name to remove is not "snap do" but "internet helper5".
The snap.do crawled into my computer when I downloaded speed fan from CNET site.
DOC

Postby Sophia » 2012-10-02 23:04

DOC wrote:I found several answers depicting snap.do as spy/malware.I tried Norton which did not find it.I uninstalled it from the control panel.Still it's tool bar was appearing in IE and Chrome.So I went to help of snap.do.It clearly stated how to uninstal from IE and chrome.I followed the steps and it was gone.I think the confusion is, the item name to remove is not "snap do" but "internet helper5".
The snap.do crawled into my computer when I downloaded speed fan from CNET site.

Hello, DOC

Glad to see you have fixed the issue. You are almost right, indeed. Snap.do sneaks in computer in name of Internet Helper. But there is a question-why so many people want to get rid of it and just find it a little bit hard and confusing to do so, if it is the real helper and functions well???

Good luck to you and be safe online. :geek:
Imagination is more important than Knowledge!
Sophia
Anvisoft Staff

Anvisoft Staff

Postby James1952 » 2013-02-21 8:27

Hello all,

Registered on here to get help with a snap.do problem.
I had already uninstalled & amended default search settings but the problem still persisted. It was particularly annoying as snap.do hijacked me on the day I got my laptop back after it became infected following hijack by conduit.
Following the final step as described by Sophia, in respect of setting specific pages seems to have done the trick. So am expressing my appreciation. Thanks :D
What's most worrying about these browser hijackers is that they seem to come from otherwise legitimate sites. I'm pretty sure this latest episode came about when installing a google product.
Anyway thanks again for the info.

Edit: There is though, just a nagging lingering doubt that it may be just "hidden" rather than removed altogether... :(
James1952

Postby Sand Drift » 2013-02-27 13:28

Thanks to all postings for cleanup suggestions.

One last thing you can check if after followed everything and feed.snap.do still comes up in IE launch, R-click on IE icon (either from Start or shortcut, etc) and select Properties. You'll find that the Target field entry is something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http://feed.snap.doc.....

So, the IE target launches IE with this param passed in. REMOVE the param; anything after the iexplore.exe. I found this out when I invoked C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe from a commandline and the browser came up find without the redirect.

The other thing that you may want to also consider:
I did a search in the regedit and found that iexplore was launched with a param %1 in the entry. I suspect that this is what the hijacker has added to accept the param from the Target entry above. You can remove it too (follow this is you don't have perm to update regedit http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-take-full-control-of-windows-7-registry-keys

Good luck.

Bad people do bad things; they will be forever be wrapped with bad karmas.
Sand Drift

Postby Winnie Yeh » 2013-03-04 23:36

Hello,

I am using Win 7 Chrome browser, and I have previously scanned my computer and guaranteed any suspicious files, I have also deleted registry as instructed, but I did not find snap.do or smartbar or resoft in my uninstall menu.
My toolbar search still links to the snap.do search site even if I changed it many times.
Can you help me figure out what I missed?
The FAQ on the snap.do website suggested reinstalling and uninstalling again. Would doing so bring a higher risk?

Thank you very much.

Winnie
Winnie Yeh

Postby Ivy » 2013-03-05 0:51

Winnie Yeh wrote:Hello,

I am using Win 7 Chrome browser, and I have previously scanned my computer and guaranteed any suspicious files, I have also deleted registry as instructed, but I did not find snap.do or smartbar or resoft in my uninstall menu.
My toolbar search still links to the snap.do search site even if I changed it many times.
Can you help me figure out what I missed?
The FAQ on the snap.do website suggested reinstalling and uninstalling again. Would doing so bring a higher risk?

Thank you very much.

Winnie

Hello,
Please download and install Anvi Smart Defender.

http://download.anvisoft.com/software/asdsetup.exe

Run full scan with it to detect and remove any snap.do related file.

After you remove the file, please go to your control panel and check if there's any possible program named as snap.do. If there's any, please uninstall them all.

At last, please go to your Google Chrome Settings, in the area of "On startup", please select the option "Open a specific page or set of page", and then click Set pages, please delete search.snap.do and then click on the close the page. After that, please select the option "Open a new tab page" to allow you Google Chrome open a new tab when you use the browser.
Attachments
startup.jpg
Anvisoft--A leading Internet security solutions provider
Ivy
Anvisoft Staff

Anvisoft Staff

Postby Winnie Yeh » 2013-03-11 9:37

Hi Ivy,

I think that worked!!
Thank you so much~

Winnie
Winnie Yeh

Postby Ivy » 2013-03-11 20:40

Winnie Yeh wrote:Hi Ivy,

I think that worked!!
Thank you so much~

Winnie

That's great. :D :D
Anvisoft--A leading Internet security solutions provider
Ivy
Anvisoft Staff

Anvisoft Staff

Next

Return to Malware Removal Assistance

Random Threads
ThreadThread StarterViews
Virus, malware or anything else?harris092787
How do I disable Plus Network search from my Google Chrome? Help needed...ooohmg3967
Any suggestion on removing coolchaser.com?ryan1982
Urgent! My computer has a trojan--JS:Blacole-AV [Trj]. Want to remove it?jasmin1201
forless.com is a redirect virus?How to remove itBarbie1651